30 ways to improve your eCommerce conversion rate
Conversion rate is a key measure of eCommerce business profitability.
By tracking your conversion rate, you can identify areas for improvement, and it’s also cheaper to increase your conversion rate than increase site traffic.
So what is a conversion rate?
HubSpot (2021) defines a conversion rate as “The percentage of visitors who complete a desired action, like completing a web form, signing up for a service, or purchasing a product.”
As an example, if your site had 100 sales and 2000 visitors last month, your conversion rate is 100 divided by 2000 (0.05), multiplied by 100 = 5%.
Enter your data in the fields below and click the blue bar to calculate your conversion rate.
Average website conversion rates can vary depending on the audience and conversion goal (such as clicks, checkouts or completing a website form) According to Hotjar (2021), in general, the average conversion rate is usually between 1% and 4%.
So now that we know what a conversion rate is and why it’s important, how do you go about improving it? Conversion doesn’t just happen: you need to optimise for it. Here are our top 30 ways to improve your eCommerce conversion rate.
Generate trust and reduce risk
1. Let customers know that your eCommerce shop is safe. Use HTTPS, choose a secure eCommerce platform, and store sensitive user data securely.
2. Allow your customers to review products and add customer testimonials to your site.
3. Show partner and client logos to add to your authority and build trust with visitors.
4. Use widely recognised trust badges for security features implemented on your site.
5. Have a clear, hassle-free return policy.
6. Offer a money-back guarantee.
7. Display your business contact details prominently, and be sure to check spelling and grammar on your site.
Tispy Sake uses recognisable brands to help people feel more confident. When you have logos or payment badges such as Visa, Mastercard, Visa, American Express, PayPal or Apple Pay displaying your payment options, you boost the level of trust in your website.
8. Make your checkout processes and forms easy to understand. Remove any unnecessary steps and fields.
9. Ensure your Add to Cart, and Checkout buttons are prevalent throughout your site.
Always show shopping cart contents and progress bars on checkout and add a point of purchase upsell.
10. Let customers checkout as guests so they can save time, and for those not inclined to open an account, it will decrease your number of abandoned carts.
11. As customers can’t see your physical product, give them a detailed product description to know what they are looking at. Provide a 360° view of products and videos.
12. Offer free shipping upfront to avoid surprise additional charges at checkout.
Milksa shows their customers the shopping cart progress bar on checkout so they know exactly what to expect during the process.
Provide effortless navigation
13. Create structure so visitors can easily find products and add filters to your category pages if you have a large product offering.
14. Ensure your search functionality is helpful and allows shoppers to limit choices to make better decisions. Faceted search, product ranking, semantic search and catering to different types of search queries and query qualifiers can impact the customer experience and in turn, conversion rates.
15. Automatically include or provide promo codes, so visitors don’t leave your site and their cart in search of a discount code and risk not returning.
16. Have a persistent shopping cart to keep track of unpurchased items that are left in the cart and save the information for the customer's next visit.
SmoothieBox automatically applies promo codes so visitors don’t leave the site to claim their discount.
Give visitors a great user experience
17. Ensure your website pages load quickly and don't keep your visitors waiting. If your site isn’t available quickly, visitors will leave.
18. Grab visitors’ attention quickly. Use high-quality images and video on your pages, remove distractions and optimise your site for use on desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
19. Don’t use rotating carousels or sliders on the hero section of your home page. They distract visitors and overwhelm them with too many messages. They also don’t give your visitor a sense of control over their interaction with your website.
20. Use Calls to Action (CTA) sparingly and ensure the copy is direct and compelling.
21. Create a sense of urgency with limited time offers or countdown timers.
22. Encourage social media sharing on product pages as well as post-checkout.
Engage with your visitors
23. Clearly state your value proposition and tell your visitors why they should shop with you over your competitors.
24. Provide valuable content that will help them through their buyer’s journey.
26. Chatbots or live chat software offer ways to instantly communicate with customers and offer visitors personalised experiences.
Invite customers to return to your site
27. Use cart abandonment software to encourage customers to finish their purchase before they leave your site.
28. Remind them by email that they have an abandoned cart filled with great products or promise additional coupons or related purchases.
29. Capture emails by offering first-time visitors an incentive to sign up to your email list. Send emails or newsletters to encourage consumers to return to your website.
Artisan Drinks capture emails by offering visitors an incentive to sign up to their email list to encourage repeat visits to their website.
Optimise your site
30. Don’t forget; you should be constantly testing whether it’s your pricing strategy, checkout process, copy or discounts. Testing gives you data, and you need data to optimise.
By implementing these conversion strategies, testing and validating your results, you could see a considerable rise in your online store’s conversion rates.
If you want to optimise your conversion rate, click the button below to arrange a free 30-minute strategy session.
- Review your current website and conversion strategies
- Set some achievable goals for your business growth
- Find the biggest issues that are preventing your business from growing
- Get actionable recommendations to kick-start your business growth and increase conversion.