What is User Experience (UX) Design?
User experience (UX) design is one of the most important aspects of web design. If your website doesn't have good UX, visitors won't stay around for long.
Here we'll provide an overview of what user experience design is, and why it is so important. We will also cover some tips on creating a good user experience for your website.
What is User Experience Design?
HubSpot (2022) defines user experience design as "the process of increasing a user’s level of satisfaction with a product or service by improving its functionality, ease of use and convenience."
A user’s experience is subjective and depends on what they need, what they value, their abilities, and also their limitations.
However, there are 7 generally accepted factors that describe a user experience, according to Peter Morville, a pioneer in the UX field:
- Useful - Has a purpose
- Usable - Achieves an objective
- Findable - Easy to find
- Credible - The user needs to trust in the product
- Desirable - Conveyed in design through branding, image, identity, aesthetics and emotion
- Accessible - Can be accessed by users of a full range of abilities
- Valuable - Delivers value to the business which creates it and to the user who buys it
When it comes to web design, UX involves understanding how users interact with your website or app and then making changes to improve their experience. The success of your site depends on more than utility and usability alone. Websites that are usable, useful, findable, accessible, credible, valuable and desirable are much more likely to succeed in the marketplace.
Why is User Experience Design Important?
User experience is important because it encompasses all aspects of the end-users interaction with your company, its services, and its products. Users will likely leave if your website is challenging to use or doesn't provide a good user experience. Good UX means users will probably visit it more often, and if you are an eCommerce site, they will be more likely to purchase from you.
A web designer needs to apply user experience (UX) design and understand how it can be used to create better eCommerce websites. UX web design keeps the user's needs and wants in mind and creates an intuitive and efficient encounter with your business.
An eCommerce business owner who invests in UX design principles will create a better user experience for their website's visitors, leading to more sales and conversions.
What are some of the key elements of good UX design?
Some important factors to consider in the UX design include:
1. Your website navigation should be easy to use with simple, easy-to-understand navigation menus and buttons.
Tippsy Sake uses mega menus, an expandable menu in which many choices are displayed in a two-dimensional dropdown layout. Mega menus are an excellent design choice for accommodating a large number of options or for revealing lower-level site pages at a glance.
2. Make sure all of your web pages are designed for mobile devices. More and more people are using their smartphones and tablets to browse the web, so your website needs to be designed for these devices.
The SmoothieBox website is designed to display well on desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
3. Use clear and concise text. Avoid using jargon or technical terms that users may not understand. Provide clear and concise instructions.
4. Use images and videos to improve the user experience. Images and videos can help explain complex concepts or make your website more visually appealing.
Tippsy Sake uses an engaging lifestyle video on its homepage to make its site more visually appealing.
5. Use positive customer reviews to improve the user experience. Customer reviews can show potential users that your website is worth their time.
6. Offer helpful support options for visitors to have their questions answered. For example, this could feature FAQs, ChatBots or Live Chat.
7. Use testing to improve the user experience. A/B or adaptive testing can identify page variations that perform and convert better.
In this example from Ebb & Flo, A/B testing different hero images can highlight which one performs better with visitors.
By following these tips, you can create a better user experience for your website's visitors. Remember, the goal is to make it easy for users to find what they are looking for and to have a positive experience while using your website. If you can achieve this, you will be well on your way to creating a successful eCommerce business.
If you want to optimise your UX design, click the button below to arrange a free 30-minute strategy session.